Choosing the Right Furniture for Your Home
Back to List
Moving into a new house is an exciting time. It’s the chance to start fresh and design your space in a way that makes you feel most comfortable. Setting up new furniture is the first step to making your house become your home.
Alternatively, if you are updating the furniture already in your house, you may find it changes the whole set up. To refresh a space or add extra functionality, adding or replacing furniture is a great way to make the most of your room.
Here are a few things to consider when you are choosing new furniture.
How Long Will It Last?
Buying quality furniture is an investment. Even if you move from house to house, often you’ll bring your best furniture with you. To make sure your furniture lasts for more than a few busy seasons, do some research on:
● The quality of the materials used. Is it made of leather or sturdy upholstery? Is the fabric likely to rip with active children or pets?
● The quality of the manufacturing. Are the seams sewn with more than simple single stitching? Do the wooden beams connect in a mechanised way? Is the furniture made by hand or mass produced?
● Is there a warranty that applies to normal wear and tear? How long do those warranties last and how much do they cover? Having a ten year warranty on a lounge chair may not seem necessary now -- but eight years down the line you may be thankful for the chance to get something fixed.
Does It Fit Your Space?
Before heading to the furniture store, always measure the space you have. You don’t want to bring home a table that completely overpowers a room because you judged it incorrectly.
When you take measurements of your space, consider how much space you would have if you rearranged. You may find that by moving pieces to different walls or areas you create more available working space for your new furniture.
It’s easy to forget but very important to measure the hallways, doorways, and entrances before buying new furniture. Sometimes you’ll be able to get furniture semi-assembled, but being unable to get your new sofa through the door can be a major let down. Professional furniture delivery services are generally experienced in what they can and cannot do as far as squeezing furniture in narrow areas, but you should definitely check beforehand that it’s a possibility.
Does It Fit Your Aesthetic?
Choosing furniture that matches your existing decor, or buying furniture sets that work well together, is a great way to make your space inviting and feel put-together. You can choose a theme that you enjoy -- vintage, contemporary, rustic, bright, sleek, comfy, etc. -- and match your new furniture (and all subsequent furniture) to it.
Consider, too, what colour your floors and walls are. Besides matching furniture to other pieces in the set, you should choose complementary colours with the actual room hues.
Does It Fit Your Lifestyle?
When you’re choosing furniture, don’t forget to consider things like:
● Do you host guests often? Will you therefore need plenty of seating?
● Do you have or plan on having children? What furniture is safe for them?
● Do you have indoor pets? What is least likely to rip or scratch?
● Do you prefer to have multiple people share furniture, such as sofas, or have individual lounge chairs so each person can have their own space?
Horton’s Furniture in Newcastle sells every aspect of home furniture you need. Test out your new furniture in one of our two showrooms today.